Purpose of the role:
The Supervisor, Internal Audit will report to the Chief Accounting Officer and is responsible for supporting and contributing to the planning and execution of Internal Audit processes engagement. This includes independent and objective assurance services that are designed to add value and improve the effectiveness and efficiency Company internal control over financial reporting and related processes.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with the planning of the annual top-down, risk-based Internal Audit assessment, including the assessment of risks, and the planning memorandum and exhibits.
- Performs hands-on work to execute the annual Internal Audit assessment review, including walkthroughs, testing, roll-forwards, and reporting.
- Prepares and updates critical path process flow diagrams that clearly illustrate the respective business functions, internal control over financial reporting (ICOFR) phases, risks, and controls.
- Consistently executes and clearly documents sound auditor judgment in selecting samples that are representative of the transaction population.
- Gathers and appropriately evaluates sufficient audit evidence; fully considers management objectives, financial statement assertions, and control risks when determining level of assurance required by test procedures (i.e., nature, extent, and timing).
- Executes workpapers that are accurate, complete, clear, concise, and well organized in accordance with department standardized workpaper formats and protocols.
- Timely notifies and consults with the CAO on potential or actual control gaps identified in either the design adequacy or operating effectiveness of key controls.
- Creates effective engagement communications that are based on a sound evaluation of criteria, condition, cause, and effect, with recommendations on corrective action; strictly adheres to department communication distribution process.
- Assists with effective monitoring of, and follow-up on, control gaps and enhancements.
- Performs other duties and special projects as needed.
- Performs and documents work in accordance with the Internal Audit Manual (i.e., policies and procedures) and the Institute of Internal Auditors professional standards.
- Effectively collaborates with a geographically dispersed team to achieve functional objectives, while working independently as required.
- Maintains effective cross-functional communication with others such as process owners and control performers.
- Engages in continuous learning and development to stay current on industry practices and trends, including PCAOB, SEC, COSO, GAAP, and fraud considerations.
- Adaptability: adapts to changes in the work environment; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Analytical Thinking: critically evaluates and synthesizes complex information to inform a fact-based, data driven approach to problem solving.
- Change Agility: applies different approaches and methods to best fit the situation; embraces and adapts to on-going changes in the environment by taking an active role in modeling new behaviors and/or providing guidance and support to help influence, build, and maintain commitment to change.
- Ethics: keeps commitments; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values; adheres to professional protocols.
- Interpersonal: builds and fosters genuine relationships with an open mind rooted in trust; understands and navigates intricate organizational dynamics in order to meet business objectives.
- Problem Solving: demonstrates accountability for results even when faced with challenges; applies leading practices and innovation to formulate and implement plans to resolve issues.
- Professionalism: approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of status or position.
- Project Management: develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates change and progress; completes projects on time and on budget; manages audit team activities.
- Team Work: balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to views of others; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit and morale; puts success of team above own interests; recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
- Verbal and Written Communications: speaks clearly and persuasively; actively listens and asks clarifying questions; participates and demonstrates comfort presenting ideas in meetings; writes clearly and articulates impact.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; Master’s degree preferred; Certified Public Accountant required; other certifications a plus (CIA, CISA).
- 5+ years of experience in external and internal audit.
- Experience in financial / operational / IT internal controls (including Sarbanes-Oxley) engagements required.
- Knowledge of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and the Committee of Sponsoring Organizations (COSO) framework preferred; knowledge of the Control Objectives for Information and Related Technology (COBIT) framework a plus.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Suite applications and accounting software.