We have been retained to identify the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for our client who is a fast-growing Energy (Oil & Gas) company Headquartered in Monterrey, Mexico. In recent years, the company has expanded its business model to include importing and distributing LP Gas, Diesel, and jet fuel into Mexico. Our client is undergoing aggressive growth and requires a true business partner to help steer this emerging energy leader.
- Acting as a true business partner, proactively supporting the CEO, Commercial, and Operations departments in the development and execution of the companies’ Mexico business strategy and plan.
- Build, lead, develop and motivate the finance team.
- Driving the financial disciplines, the Mexican financial reporting & and control, tax and cash management, as well as the analysis and decision support for the local CEO.
- Building and maintaining strong strategic financial planning, reporting, accounting and control processes in accordance with guidelines.
- Communicating accurate and insightful analysis of financial and business results and trends to the CEO
- Constructively challenge the different divisions, particularly in the areas of planning & allocation, capital investments, and cash flow management.
- Overview IT, Risk Management and Legal matters.
- Develop critical external relationships, particularly with local government, tax, and accounting authorities as well as banks.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE:
Education: University Degree in a relevant field is required; CPA qualified or equivalent. Higher education as an MBA is not a must but it is desired.
Languages: English and Spanish
The successful candidate is a proven change leader and operates well in a high growth and dynamic environment. She/he has the ability to be a true business partner and bridges gaps between the finance function, operations, and commercial business where and when deemed necessary and must have the following requirements:
- Experienced senior finance professional with an accountancy qualification, and knowledge of the key finance functions.
- Good knowledge of Accounting Principles (Local GAAP and IFRS), as well as the ability to appreciate the key issues with regard to tax and legal.
- Previous experience as a true CFO, Board level responsibility, accountability, reporting and communication in Mexico.
- Previous Oil & Gas industry experience.
- Strong leadership skills, demonstrating strong commercial and financial control skills.
- Used to working in a Management Committee and constructively challenging key commercial functions.
- Preferably has work experience in a financial function of a mid to large energy company; If not, he/she must have the ability to quickly grasp the business.
- Experience with IT systems.
- Knowledge and experience with the regulatory environment in Mexico, including local statutory regulations (tax/legal/labor/Mexican NIF).
BEHAVIORAL SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Is absolutely trustworthy, has unquestionable integrity and ethical standards as well as an excellent reputation.
- Excellence in direction and pace setting, experience in turning things around; change manager.
- Displays perseverance enabling him/her to maintain a clear line towards superiors, business partners and colleagues. Able to make clear choices and evaluate risks in challenging discussions.
- Ability to take part in all company related matters in their entirety, making it possible to provide solutions not only for simple but also complex problems.
- Translates commercial procedures into strategies and operations using analytical and commercial skills. A well-defined cost consciousness is an important qualification.
- Organizational talent and networking abilities make him/her an active and pleasant counterpart for colleagues, keeping an open mind during discussions.
- Radiates confidence through the strength of his/her intellect, leadership style, and ability to manage interpersonal relationships at all levels.
Leadership skills: The ideal candidate has proved his/her leadership ability by leading teams successfully. A successful candidate:
- Will be a strong people-manager who can build a high performing team.
- Inspires and develops excellence in people and the organization. Keeps subordinates motivated and highly productive.
- Creates and communicates a vision. Provides an effective structure for integrating the financial and fiscal aspects of the decision-making process into day-to-day business activities.
- The candidate should display excellent communication skills, allowing him/her to communicate effectively within as well as outside of the organization.
- Good listener
- A team worker that shares his/her knowledge and experience to benefit the organization and the individuals who shape it.
Problem solving skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency in getting problems and issues solved on the basis of results-oriented consensus building.
- Thoroughly and only satisfied if followed up with top quality performance.
- Thinks creatively and constructively in solving problems and subsequently “doing the right thing”.
- Possesses high level of stress tolerance, continuing to perform effectively when facing time pressure, adversity, disappointment and opposition.
- Identifying problems, recognizing significant information, making connections between data.
- Actively focused on achieving results and objectives; ready to take action in case of disappointing results.
- Hands-on person
- Intellectual curiosity, person who is curious and “questions status quo”.