Our client, a technology-driven, innovative global provider of fastening systems and solutions, is looking for a Director of Operations for North America. The Director of Operations reports to the Chief Operating Officer and is responsible for direction, strategy, and planning and execution for the company’s manufacturing operations in the USA (2 sites), Canada (1 site), and Mexico (2 sites).
Essential Job Functions:
- Facilitates creation and approval of detailed plans to deliver operational results in the following areas; manufacturing overhead budget spending, labor utilization & efficiency, material efficiency, quality and on time delivery.
- Regularly reviews performance against site level operating plans and key metrics. Partners with site managers to interpretation results, adjust action plans and approves changes in direction to attain results.
- Ensure that, as the company grows, manufacturing capabilities meet or exceed all industry and customer requirements for cost, quality and responsiveness.
- Analyzes manufacturing sites footprint configuration and determines optimal manufacturing footprint to include consolidations, plant start-ups, etc.
- Presents monthly reports on performance in collaboration with regional & global finance.
- Drives strategic lean manufacturing thinking and application within the region.
- Collaborates with the NAM Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer on major events or initiatives
- impacting the results & performance of the business.
- Develops specific short-term and long-term investment plans and programs, together with supporting budget requests and financial estimates in order to achieve short and long term business goals around growth & profitability
- Reviews and approves cost control reports, cost estimates, and manpower and facilities requirements forecasts.
- Reviews and approves major projects involving major functional changes within the operations functional areas.
- Will be challenged with orchestrating a manufacturing start-up in a location to be determined.
- Collaborates frequently with the key global operational support functions to leverage resources, best practices and functional knowledge to accelerate improvement with the region
- Identifies training needs, initiates development of subordinates, and recommends effective personnel action.
- Ensures that duties, responsibilities, and authority and accountability of all direct reports are defined and understood.
- Partner with commercial team to meet with customers to discuss and set scheduling timelines for product delivery.
- Acts as a key member of the global Operations Leadership Team guiding the overall functional direction for the company’s manufacturing and supply chain strategy.
- B.S., Engineering or Business discipline; Master’s degree preferred.
- 10+ plus years in manufacturing operations management (i.e. Regional Director of Operations, VP of Operations, Regional Director of Manufacturing, VP of Manufacturing or similar.)
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple sites in North America coupled with experience in Mexican maquiladora environments.
- Well versed in strategy deployment methodology.
- Experienced with footprint configuration, consolidations, transfers and start-ups.
- Strong analytical, numerical, and reasoning abilities.
- Strong transformation, continuous improvement and lean management skills
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive—but able to recognize and support the organization & preferences and priorities.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to drive important company values and initiatives.
- Ability to make fact-based decisions in a timely manner.
- Approximately 50% travel expected
- Able to take on additional responsibilities within two years.
- English proficiency required / Spanish proficiency is highly preferred.