As a Plant Manager
, provides leadership and direction to the Juarez plant in all areas of responsibility. The primary duties of this position are to lead and support all plant start-up activities required for a successful greenfield start-up. Direct and manage all plant operations with overall responsibilities for metrics and P&L, production, facility and equipment maintenance, quality, manufacturing engineering, materials, purchasing, EHS, plant cleanliness and other production-related activities. The candidate is responsible for maintaining production to achieve budgeted volumes and quality standards. Position reports to VP Operations, Americas.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, coordinates and leads plant greenfield start-up activities in conjunction with a start-up team.
- Activities include permits, government relations, staffing, training, production and equipment transfer, pilot runs, implementation of systems and processes, and all other activities required for a successful start-up.
- Directs the overall activities of the manufacturing facilities of the plant to ensure customer orders are received, scheduled, produced and shipped at the lowest possible cost to meet the customers' requirements while maintaining corporate established quality standards.
- Develops manufacturing organizational strategies by contributing manufacturing information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction; establishing functional objectives in line with organizational objectives.
- Oversees and/or develops analyzes and reviews a variety of production reports to improve costs employee commitment on quality, efficiency, cycle times, 5’s, scrap reduction, process improvement activities .
- Facilitate standardized procedures / work instructions / visual factory / equipment utilization between multiple facilities and incorporate best practices methodology.
- Coordinate plant activities with material management to ensure the total manufacturing objectives are accomplished in a timely and cost effective manner
- Coordinate activities with the management team to implement cost effective systems of control over capital, operating expenditures, manpower, wages and salaries.
- Establishes manufacturing operational strategies by evaluating manufacturing trends; establishing critical measurements; determining production, productivity, quality, and customer-service strategies; designing manufacturing systems; accumulating resources; resolving problems; implementing change.
- Ensures that appropriate standard operating procedures (SOP's) are developed and maintained for all aspects of the business
The ideal candidate will be a strong hands-on metrics and results oriented leader who takes pride in team success and development. We’re looking for a resourceful problem-solver with management skills, who demonstrates a naturally high level of leadership initiative that only world class leaders possess. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, good attention to detail, and the ability to interact effectively and professionally. Strong initiative and organizational skills, and the ability to effectively multi-task and juggle shifting priorities also required.
Skill and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field
- Master’s Degree strongly preferred.
- At least 10 years in a plant managerial role, specifically as a Plant Manager , Director of Operations or Director of Manufacturing Level or similar. Must be able to grow one or two levels above.
- 10+ years in management and leadership experience in a manufacturing environment in Mexico.
- Working knowledge of budgets and financial statements
- Plant manufacturing start-up or aggressive ramp-up experience is highly desired.
- Familiar with Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua maquiladora industry is highly preferred.
- Prefer experience in medical devices, consumer products, packaging or industrial products (in that order of preference).
- Excellent Lean manufacturing experience required. Six Sigma tools experience highly desired.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Ability to understand the vision of the organization and translate it into specific plans and actions that achieve desired results.
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to effectively solve problems both on an individual and collaborative approach.
- Strong team player with high levels of integrity, energy and enthusiasm.
- Strong technical skills and experience in the area of quality control in a fast paced manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated leadership to maximize section resources
- Strong planning and organizational skills and experience
- Must be a strong executor who has the ability to assist with strategy development at all levels of the organization to drive business performance
- Deal effectively with pressure and maintain focus and intensity while remaining optimistic and persistent, even under adversity
- Ability to multi-task with multiple priorities and time frames as well as adapt to constantly changing work environment and product content
- Ability to manage and resolve conflicts and disagreements in a positive and constructive manner to minimize negative impact.
- Strong communication, analytical, lateral thinking, planning and problem solving skills.
- English fluency 95% plus and Spanish fluency. Able to make presentations in English to corporate leadership team.