We have been retained by our client, a pioneer and global leader in retail “fast fashion” with over 2500
retail stores worldwide in Europe, Asia, North America, Mexico and Latin America to find their new Director of Retail Planning.
Key Purpose of the Job:
The Retail Planning Director oversees retail planning strategies and activities for the Mexican territory, ensuring strong collaboration and alignment between pre-season plans and in-season actions. This
position is responsible in directing the development, execution, and communication of the strategic merchandise financial plans to improve merchandise planning and forecasting, pricing strategy,
operating profit and ROI. This position is responsible for ensuring smooth implementation and long-term adoption of the best-practices established through the Merchandise Excellence project.
Key Area of Responsibility
- Manage the creation of companywide commercial and operational reports.
- Providing sales, margin and inventory information for the in-month and full year forecast.
- Be in charge of stock and inventory management and all inventory flow from purchase, allocation to
- Overseeing the financial targets of the company at the moment of commercial decisions
- Manage the Retail Stores productivity and profitability reporting and analysis, including the store targets and sales targets.
- Help with evaluation of new business opportunities as well as proposing new opportunities to improve sales and profitability.
- Propose ways to improve the Gross Margin of the company through allocation of inventory based on store characteristics.
- Working with the Commercial and Operations team, the Director of Retail Planning is responsible for:
- Analyzing weekly sales achievement and drive strategy development to improve business result.
- Ensuring the consolidation of the merchandise financial plans across product categories and sub-categories.
- Reviewing and validating the top down Merchandise Financial Plans with Commercial Director.
- Reviewing and validating the top down Merchandise Financial Plans with leadership and finance and securing the final and ‘locked’ plan.
- Reviewing and validating the in-season (open to buy) plans and actions
- Reviews forecasted sales trends and recommend adjustments to maximize opportunities and minimize liabilities for multiple product categories.
- Reviewing markdown and promotional strategies and actions outside of plans
- Develop and execute allocation plans, review and monitor store level performance, and manage in-season stock levels within the Distribution Centers and stores.
- Work with the Distribution Center for the most efficient release of merchandise based on the Commercial plan and the financial impact.
- The development of the team’s capabilities, analytical skills and business knowledge through coaching and on the job monitoring/training.
- Developing the team’s capabilities, analytical skills and business knowledge through coaching and on the job monitoring/training.
This position will partner with Buying Team by
- Overseeing the development of the conceptual assortment plans and support Retail Buying in the development of the buy plans.
- Overseeing the development and execution of category, market, in-store and campaign strategies based on analytics and market intelligence.
- Managing the in-season (open to buy) process.
- Conduct season-end hindsight meeting and guide the application of the lessons towards the framework for future deliveries and reaction to current business trends for multiple product categories.
- Ensure the team is communicating with other business functions in an efficient and effective way.
- Participate in store visits (internal) and competitor market visits (external) to understand retail trends and consumer needs.
- Resolve the escalation of inventory status issues (overstocks, late deliveries, short shipments) with Operations Planning & Forecasting, Retail Buyers and Retail Planners, as needed.
Candidate Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor degree in Finance, economics, business, operations resource management, supply chain, or similar required couple with at least 8 years of professional experience. MBA a plus.
- Previous solid experience as a Retail Planning Director or Senior Manager or similar. (will also consider Commercial Planning, S&OP, FP&A Director or Manager or similar).
- Strong retail planning background required.
- Must be familiar with fashion, fast fashion or similar (brand-centric).
- Must have in depth knowledge of retail stores.
- Knowledge of metrics and P&L / financials. FP&A a plus.
- Management experience and successful track record developing high performing teams.
- Advanced EXCEL required. Word and Powerpoint; ORACLE preferred.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
- Familiar with Mexico.
- Open to be relocated from within Mexico or outside of Mexico to Guadalajara, Mexico.
- Ideal candidate will be quick paced, multi-tasked, results- oriented, flexible, positive and a respectful individual with sound emotional intelligence who handles stress well.
- This strong leader will have a collaborative style, be empathetic, customer focused, a consensus builder with excellent management skills able to influence others and win other’s buy-in.