Our client is a global manufacturer of electro-mechanical products who due to growth seeks a Sr. Materials Manager to oversee the Tijuana and Ensenada manufacturing plants. Responsible for the tactical execution of processes and systems for the Ensenada and Tijuana, Mexico manufacturing plants according to internal and external customer needs. Leads direct/indirect teams responsible for deployment of materials management function processes, policies, system tools and work methods with the objective to continuously improve resource and inventory asset performance while achieving customer service delivery targets. Provide leadership to (but are not limited to) master scheduling and production planning, procurement of raw material, inventory control, warehousing, customs and distribution center activities.
Main Job Responsibilities:
- Manages the flow of materials to meet the demands of customers, internal and external. Manages the processes and resources required to produce and deliver the End Products.
- Collaborate with strategic sourcing and category management to establish and manage the supplier’s relationships.
- Establish and measure supplier’s performance to delivery and quality requirements.
- Assures the supply of raw material and programs short and long term needs to maintain an optimum inventory to meet the production program.
- Optimizes the supply chain through supplier evaluations, maintains relationships with clients, suppliers, contractors, custom agents and transportation companies insuring their compliance to the organizations policies’, guidelines and requirements.
- Responsible for the following areas: Purchasing, Production and inventory control, warehousing (raw material and finished goods) and shipping operations including the required official customs procedures on both sides and for the Ministry of Economy (secretaria de economia)
- Responsible for product billing involved in shipping and export procedures
- Continuous improvement initiatives with respect to the company’s materials management processes and systems; collaborates with Corporate materials management colleagues to develop and / or optimize the aforementioned processes and systems.
- Assures the implementation of every applicable control to maintain the integrity of the physical inventory.
- Shares responsibility with accounting to validate the company’s information system in regards to accounts payable, inventories, cost accounting etc.
- Responsible for the inventory accuracy and turns attainment of the operation.
- Optimizes the performance indicators of the materials area such as inventory turnover, customer service, on time delivery, etc. via data-driven initiatives and projects.
- Formulates, negotiates and manages the department objectives and budgets, as well as the strategies and action plans to achieve those objectives. Validates and authorizes standard operating procedures for the production and materials control function in line with corporate materials management strategy.
- Responsible for selecting, training, motivating, and developing the department staff as well as acting as a facilitator to the department team.
Baja California General Manager directly, and to Corporate level Supply Chain indirectly.
Job Positions That Can Report Directly:
Supervise: Management/Superintendents (purchasing, warehouse, production control, import/export) production and materials planners and administrative assistants.
Candidate Requirements and Qualifications:
- Professional University degree and certificate program.
Minimum Experience Required
- More than 5 years as a Materials Manager or similar including production control/planning
- Solid Production Planning experience
- Knowledge of Shipping and customs procedures required
- Experience with MRP II (MAPICS / Powerlink a plus),
- Knowledge of JIT, KANBAN, Demand flow Technology (DFT), Inventory control management.
- Fluent in Spanish and Fluent / Advanced English (reading and writing that allow fluid presentations and or participation in negotiation processes).
- Advanced EXCEL. Intermediate use of Word, Power point, etc.) or application programs.
- APICS Certification (CPIM or similar) is desirable or a certificate program in Materials management.
- Needs to have a sense of urgency, attention to detail, and excellent problem solving skills.
- Must be resilient with a high work ethic and high energy. Must be highly adaptable to constant change.
- Strong execution skills and influencing skills
- Strong leader capable of developing a high performing work group through coaching.
Executive Search Leader: Jorge Roldan, CPC.