We have been retained to identify an Assistant President – Americas (Chief of Staff) for our client who is a fast growing pharmaceutical and bio-technology publicly traded company headquartered in Asia, who is preparing for an aggressive growth stage in the Americas and the launching of new products. The company has manufacturing plants in Europe, Asia and the U.S., with subsidiaries in Europe, Mexico and the USA. Company has over 6000 employees worldwide. Position reports to President for the Americas.
The Assistant President supports the President of the Americas, acting as a lead project manager for the President’s agenda, strategy and direction. The position works closely with the President to increase the bandwidth of the President allowing him to focus his efforts and priorities on strategic activities. The ideal candidate will handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities simultaneously, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands. He/she must also have the demonstrated ability to deal with highly confidential information and act as a liaison between the President and other constituencies, both internal and external. He/she must exhibit the skills to collaborate with and achieve actionable results through others, the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships and the capability to interact within all levels of the company.
Essential duties & responsibilities
- Works as an extension of the President – The Americas.
- Executive project management: Acts on the authority of the President to oversee projects that typically require cross-functional collaboration and resource allocation across North and South America (USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil and others).
- Provides ad-hoc analysis and decision support.
- Disseminates information and communicates ideas on behalf of the President.
- Responds on behalf of the President to issues that arise, both internal and external.
- Manages logistics for meetings, including meeting dates and agendas, reports and other meeting preparation.
- Ensures that the President is prepared for meetings and events.
- Works closely with the Executive Assistant to the President to ensure the appropriate management of the President’s calendar so that all priorities are met.
- Develops project plans, measuring progress against the strategic plan.
- Coordinates activities, sets agendas, and summarizes deliverables for Senior Team, Leadership Team, Open Staff Meetings, and other staff meetings.
- Participates in the President’s internal and external communications & presentations, both written and spoken.
- Manages the office of the President, including supervision of the support staff.
- Senior Management Team & Leadership Team and selected others throughout the organization.
- Clients and staff who are attempting to raise their issues to the President level.
Candidate Required Skills:
- Highly collaborative orientation, with outstanding diplomacy, analytical and organizational skills.
- Finely honed oral and written communication skills, laterally to others on the executive team, downward through the organizational chart, and upward to the President.
- Keen judgment and emotional intelligence.
- Successful track record of achieving results through persuasion and collaboration rather than explicit reporting relationship.
- Must possess critical thinking skills, using logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses and have the ability to seek alternative solutions, conclusions and approaches to problems.
- Ability to flawlessly manage significant amounts of detail.
- Successful track record managing multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Must exercise discretion, sound judgment, and the highest professional ethics.
- Ability to weigh issues in an unbiased manner.
- Must be flexible and highly organized.
- Demonstrated success in information gathering and analysis, and professional reporting methodologies.
- Frequent travel (national and international) required.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required. A Master’s degree in Business Administration is highly desirable.
- Five to Seven years of experience with President or CEO support or a similar position such as General Manager, VP of Operations, Division President, etc. Experience running a business such as a Division is highly desirable.
- Previous pharmaceutical (health sciences) background is required.
- P&L Knowledge
- Strong work ethic to produce focused, dedicated high performance work among both internal and external stakeholders with a focus on collaboration.
- A successful track record of increasingly responsible and complex positions is essential.
- At least two years of prior supervisory experience is highly desirable.
- A professional background including experience planning and managing strategic and operational projects is also desired.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite programs is required.
- Exposure to Latin America a plus.