Our client, has grown significantly over the past three years and requires a highly strategic General Manager who can work with the Founder, the Leadership Team and the Board of Directors to continue to evolve the company and the brand.
The General Manager will be required to analyze the internal systems and processes to ensure that they drive efficiencies and support the company’s competitive positioning as it continues to grow and evolve.
The General Manager will excel at leading change initiatives and continue the heritage of creativity and innovation that has allowed the company to grow to its current size and impact. The General Manager will ensure the optimal organizational structure is in place with the required skills and experience to execute on the strategy, and introduce best practices, data-based decision making, and performance metrics, while ensuring accountability. They will be the key driver of the company culture and emulate a leadership style that’s genuine, caring and highly visible with a strong authentic connection to staff.
GENERAL MANAGER PROFILE JOB DESCRIPTION
The General Manager will embody and be the cultural champion of the company. She/he will take a genuine interest in what everyone is doing, and this in turn will translate to the people who are dealing with our guests, suppliers and the community.
The ideal candidate will have strong hospitality, real estate, and ecotourisim industry experience, as well as a passion for building sustainable lands, the connection of the community to the land and its historical context – particularly young people and connecting them to the significance of the land. A commitment to build and grow a profitable ecotourism business is also essential.
Reporting to the Founder, with guidance from the Board of Directors and existing leadership team, the General Manager will be accountable for creating the strategic direction and ensuring profitable growth. The General Manager will lead the Leadership Team, oversee the company’s operations, increase operational efficiencies and grow the company’s businesses while maintaining a positive company culture with its close to 125 employees. .
- Develop an effective organizational structure and assign the right people to leadership roles
- Assess and develop talent, including the provision of performance and career feedback
- Ensure there’s a sound succession plan for key positions throughout the company
- Promote a performance-based, people-focused culture throughout the company that drives financial results while promoting and retaining the best talent in the industry
BUSINESS & OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS
- Hire, motivate and develop a high functioning, results-driven leadership team
- Maintain existing key performance indicators and develop new metrics to evaluate the position of the company relative to other competitors as well as “best in class” performers in the sector/industry
- Develop and implement long and short-term operational planning, including budgets, expense forecasts and capital spends
- Develop & implement short, medium and long-term performance goals for the Leadership Team
- Ensure effective procedures and operational controls are established and maintained
- In conjunction with the Leadership Team, identify systems & processes to achieve efficiencies and improve daily operations
- Delegate authority to the heads of all departments and put in place effective performance management processes
- Possess strong financial skills and acumen, including a thorough knowledge of balance sheets and income statements, as well as the efficient use of capital in the short, medium & long-term
- Provide oversight & accountability for financial health by monitoring expenditures, cash flow, financial performance and forecasts and identifying areas of concern
- Prepare detailed business cases for the Board of Directors to support capital investments, new business models, and other recommendations requiring Board and Shareholder approval
- Prepare operational briefs for each Board of Director meeting and report on critical fiscal matters or significant information or events affecting the business to the Board of Directors in a timely manner
- Maintain strong relationships with government agencies, legal counsel & external advisors; keep them apprised, as required
- In collaboration with the Finance/Accounting Manager, ensure that adequate risk management processes and strategies are in place, particularly with respect to contracts and project execution
- Provide oversight in the negotiation of contracts and minimize risk by ensuring all contracts are In the best interest of the company
- Establish and lead a culture that encompasses the highest ethical standards that are aligned with the company’s core values
- Provide high-level strategic, tactical and operational leadership to the Leadership Team
- Identify strategic opportunities, monitor trends and significant market changes and their impact on the organization, and make necessary changes to ensure the success of the strategic plan
- Develop and recommend to the Board of Directors, the company’s vision, strategic plan and annual business plans (including operating and capital budgets), ensuring growth and overall success
- Direct and monitor activities in a manner that ensures the assets of the company are safeguarded and optimized in the best interests of the Shareholder
- Lead the development of new initiatives and business opportunities based on current trends and the competitive landscape and that make the best use of resources/assets
- Maintain a high profile by participating in the local community, industry associations and developing strong relationships with general contractors, suppliers, and other stakeholders
- Establish and maintain strong positive relationships with guests, suppliers and the community
- Lead & participate in corporate initiatives as directed by the Founder in conjunction with the Board of Directors
- Be responsible for fulfillment of all contractual obligations & legal matters of company arising out of normal operations
CANDIDATE PROFILE EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University degree
- 5-10+ years of senior management experience leading a company or division (hospitality, ecotourism, or real estate development sectors highly preferred).
- Fluent in English & Spanish – orally and written
- Experience working in a private company is highly desirable
- A demonstrated strategic and innovative thinker
- A transformative leader with strong change management skills
- Experience leading a company/division/region to its next level of growth organically
- Demonstrated financial and business acumen with the ability to craft prudent businesses cases
- Recognized success building a high performing and accountable Leadership Team
- Honesty, Integrity, and a strong work ethic
- Grounded, confident individual who is down-to-earth and approachable; with a high level of personal awareness of his or her own strengths & weaknesses and their ability to produce results
- An understanding and appreciation for the Baja/Mexican culture
- Entrepreneurial mindset energized by ambitious goals and the ability to drive results
- A strong problem solver, who is a decisive, timely and data-based decision maker; high level of energy; action-oriented
- Exercises sound judgement and a common-sense approach
- Able to communicate a clear growth plan to staff
- A motivational leader and effective driver of results and progress with an inclusive, inspiring and authentic leadership style
- Excellent communicator and relationship builder; can build trust quickly and develop a strong presence
- A natural collaborator and consensus builder
- A good listener who is caring and empathetic