We have been retained by a global European consumer products and soft goods retail leader to identify their next Mexico CFO to be based in Guadalajara, Mexico. Our client is undergoing aggressive growth and requires a true business partner to help steer this Mexico leader.
- Acting as a true business partner, proactively supporting the CEO and Commercial and Retail Executive Director in the development and execution of the companies’ Mexico business strategy and plan.
- Build, lead, develop and motivate the finance team.
- Driving the financial disciplines, the Mexican financial reporting & control, tax and cash management, as well as the analysis and decision support for the local CEO.
- Building and maintaining strong strategic financial planning, reporting, accounting and control processes in accordance with corporate guidelines.
- Communicating accurate and insightful analysis of financial and business results and trends to the local CEO and Group CFO based in Europe.
- Constructively challenge the merchandising function, particularly in the areas of planning & allocation, inventory and cash flow management.
- Overview IT, Risk Management and Legal matters.
- Develop critical external relationships, particularly with local government, tax, and accounting authorities as well as banks.
- Develop a constructive relationship with the International finance team.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE:
Education: University Degree in a relevant field (Accounting, Finance or related) is required; ACCA or CPA qualified or equivalent. Higher education such as an MBA is not a must but it is preferred.
Languages: English fluency and Spanish fluency. Other languages like German a plus.
The successful candidate is a proven change leader and operates well in a decentralized organization model. She/he has the ability to be a true business partner and bridges gaps between the finance function and the commercial business where and when deemed necessary and must have the following requirements:
- Experienced senior finance professional with an accountancy qualification, and knowledge of the key finance functions.
- Good knowledge of Accounting Principles (Local Mexico GAAP and IFRS), as well as the ability to appreciate the key issues with regard to tax and legal.
- Previous experience as a true CFO required, Board level responsibility, accountability, financial reporting and communication in Mexico.
- Prior experience working abroad in the USA or Europe is very highly preferred.
- Strong leadership skills, demonstrating strong commercial and financial control skills.
- Used to working in a Management Committee and constructively challenging key commercial functions, like merchandising and store development.
- Proven ability to work at two levels: at Board level and detailed levels within the finance function.
- Preferably has work experience in a financial function of a mid to large multi-site retail operation; If not, he/she must have the ability to quickly grasp the business. Consumer goods commercial knowledge is very helpful.
- Detailed understanding of the value chain, including planning and allocation, and inventory management.
- Experience with finance leasing contracts (ie. real estate).
- Experience with IT systems. Experience actively participating in ERP implementations required. Prefer knowledge of ORACLE or similar.
- Knowledge and experience with the regulatory environment in Mexico, including local statutory regulations (tax/legal/labor/Mexican NIF).
BEHAVIORAL SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Is absolutely trustworthy, has unquestionable integrity and ethical standards as well as an excellent reputation.
- Excellence in direction and pace setting, experience in turning things around; change manager.
- Displays perseverance enabling him/her to maintain a clear line towards superiors, business partners and colleagues. Able to make clear choices and evaluate risks in challenging discussions.
- Ability to take part in all company related matters in their entirety, making it possible to provide solutions not only for simple but also complex problems.
- Translates commercial procedures into strategies and operations using analytical and commercial skills. A well-defined cost consciousness is an important qualification.
- Organizational talent and networking abilities make him/her an active and pleasant counterpart for colleagues, keeping an open mind during discussions.
- Radiates confidence through the strength of his/her intellect, leadership style, and ability to manage interpersonal relationships at all levels.
Leadership skills: The ideal candidate has proved his/her leadership ability by leading teams successfully. A successful candidate:
- Will be a strong people-manager who can build a high performing team.
- Inspires and develops excellence in people and the organization. Keeps subordinates motivated and highly productive.
- Creates and communicates a vision. Provides an effective structure for integrating the financial and fiscal aspects of the decision making process into day-to-day business activities.
- The candidate should display excellent communication skills, allowing him/her to communicate effectively within as well as outside of the organization. Open minded and comfortable dealing with various cultures and nationalities.
- Good listener
- A team worker that shares his/her knowledge and experience to benefit the organization and the individuals who shape it.
Problem solving skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency in getting problems and issues solved on the basis of results oriented consensus building.
- Thoroughly and only satisfied if followed up with top quality performance.
- Thinks creatively and constructively in solving problems and subsequently “doing the right thing”.
- Possesses high level of stress tolerance, continuing to perform effectively when facing time pressure, adversity, disappointment and opposition.
- Identifying problems, recognizing significant information, making connections between data.
- Actively focused on achieving results and objectives; ready to take action in case of disappointing results.
- Hands-on person
- Intellectual curiosity, person who is curious and “questions status quo”.