Our client is a global leader in electrical and digital building infrastructures with over 40,000 employees worldwide and over $6 billion USD in sales. They currently seek a Materials Manager for its metal fabrication plant in Tijuana, Mexico. The primary responsibility of this position is to provide leadership for the implementation of the plant’s Materials Strategy and implementation of standard, effective and efficient material processes and flow. This includes responsibility for all material management, development, coordination and deployment of the activities of integrated materials management, demand forecasting, SiOP (Sales Inventory Operations Planning) capacity planning, customer scheduling, Purchasing, material / product delivery (Warehouse & Shipping) and supplier replenishment.
- Organization: Individual Contributor competency model
- Main Interface: Internal – Company Division Management - production staff and sales. External – Supplier, Custom, contract manufacturers, and customers.
- This Position report to: Director of Operations.
- This position will have in charge of planners-buyers; master scheduler, Warehouse & shipping department, logistics and indirect buyer.
- Budget: Assist in development and execution of the manufacturing budget so the needs of the plant and business are anticipated and met.
Main Job Duties:
- Manage all aspects of Materials and Production planning, in adherence with corporate, divisional and plant policies to achieve plant and departmental goals.
- Purchases materials, supplies, equipment, and services by developing purchasing policies and procedures.
- Oversee activities of Material Planners to assure that customer delivery, manufacturing efficiency and plant inventory objectives.
- Meets sales forecasts and current orders by developing production planning and scheduling systems; optimizing labor, equipment, and inventory resources; examining and resolving schedule deviations and problems.
- Stores and ships product by developing warehousing policies and procedures; implementing inventory movement systems; developing traffic and shipping policies and procedures; examining and resolving delays at company Distribution Center and /or Customers.
- Drive indicators of performance in the Area of materials, such as rotation of inventory, customer service, On-Time Deliveries (delivery time) etc. and implement strategic plan to achieve them.
- Responsible for the implementation and deployment of actions to ensure compliance with local, company and other adopted standards (e.g. ISO, other international product standards)
- Oversee the development and implementation of new inventory management, excess and obsolete material elimination and scheduling methods and procedures.
- Manage, negotiates and administers the objectives and budgets of your Department, as well as the strategies and action plans to meet those goals. Validates and authorizes procedures, standards of operation (SOP) of the function of materials and production Control.
- Meets materials management financial objectives by forecasting requirements; preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Provide for the training and development of subordinates.
- Assists in maintaining an atmosphere of continuous improvement and team efforts for accomplishing department and plant goals. Conduct departmental meetings, and participate as required in general plant communication.
- Manage special assignments and projects as assigned by Plant Manager.
Improve and strengthen production planning system
Drive and assist with migration to SAP, particularly SAP planning module.
Lead change from push to pull system.
Reduce inventory levels and implement Kanban connecting three manufacturing processes: metal fab, painting, and assembly.
Improve inventory control, inventory accuracy and drastically reduce inventory discrepancies
Help achieve CTPAT certification.
Must have Bachelor’s degree. Engineering or Material Science or equivalent preferred.
+10 years’ experience in Materials Planning and Production Planning with at least 5 years’ as a Materials Manager or similar in high volume manufacturing.
Must have hands-on SAP experience in manufacturing environment (preferred) or similar ERP.
Experience implementing pull systems and Kanban experience.
- Solid computer skills. MS Office. Strong EXCEL. ERP skills, prefer SAP
- This position requires strong mathematical and analysis skills, dealing with complex issues.
- APICS (CPIM / CRIM or similar) certification is preferred.
- Must have demonstrated experience in applying Lean tools and practices and driving a strong Lean / Continuous improvement culture.
- Desirable to have experience on Mexican manufacturing operation, low-mid volume and high mix.
- Requires strong organizational and time management skills, close attention to detail and be able to effectively handle multiple priorities. Able to evaluate situations, identify options and implement effective solutions quickly and efficiently.
- Must be able to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization, and have excellent verbal and written communications skills coupled with excellent leadership skills and the ability to delegate.
- General knowledge of Staffing, Safety Management, Developing Standards, Promoting Process Improvement, and Quality principles.
- Scheduling and reporting skills
- Must be Bilingual. Spanish and English fluency