Our client is a global leader in manufacturing who seeks an Operations Director to manage its automotive division at its site in Chihuahua. The Operations Director will direct and manage manufacturing operations with overall responsibilities for production, quality, materials and other production related activities. Directly Supervises Unit Managers per automotive clients, and dotted line supervision for Quality, Engineering, Materials/Supply chain, and Planning. The Operations Director will be challenged with improving cost and quality and OTD of key automotive clients. Must be able to keep up with high growth while maintaining and improving key metrics.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Establish operations standards for productivity, cost control, waste reduction, complete and on-time delivery, quality and safety & environmental.
- Recommends and implements strategic changes in manufacturing and operations strategy.
- Ensures that continuous process improvement is pursued throughout all areas of the business and that all projects are carried out in a timely, financially sound manner consistent with company goals.
- Assists business units in the development of selling strategies.
- Builds, develops and manages Work Cell operations leadership team capable of carrying out needed operations strategies and improving employee relations.
- Be a creative and proactive leader of the management team, focused on continuous improvement.
- Provide exceptional support to customers and team members.
- Establish clear measurable goals and objectives by which to determine individual and team results (i.e. operational metrics, results against project timelines, training documentation, attendance records, knowledge of operational roles and responsibilities, personal development goals).
- Solicit ongoing feedback from Business Unit Manager (BUM), and Functional Manager on Functional Manager's contribution to the team. Provide ongoing coaching and counseling to Functional Manager based on feedback.
- Drive continuous improvement through trend reporting analysis and metrics management.
- Assure that procedures and work instructions are efficient and not redundant.
- Offer new ideas and suggestions for improvement. Identify and implement new practices and processes that are "best in field."
- Demonstrate a commitment to customer service; anticipate, meet, and exceed expectations by solving problems quickly and effectively; making customer issues a priority.
- Establish new measurement systems if/where possible.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent education and training. Prefer engineering degree.
- At least 10 - 15 years’ work experience in manufacturing with at least 5 years as an Operations Director or Plant Manager or similar.
- Must have experience with managing a budget, cost controls and metrics.
- MUST have experience in an electronics manufacturing environment.
- MUST have experienced with automotive manufacturing, preferably automotive electronic components.
- Lean manufacturing and continuous improvement knowledge and experience.
- Previous materials management a plus.
- Some client relations experience is helpful but not required.
- Able to work in a matrix work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others.
- Must be empathetic, capable of gaining trust easily, a consensus builder with strong influencing skills.
- Must have good negotiation skills and communication skills, and possess solid emotional intelligence.
- Team player who is flexible and adaptable to change.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.