Our client, a growing leader in the aerospace and electronics industry, is seeking a VP of Manufacturing & Supply Chain to be based preferably in Mexicali, Baja California Mexico or possibly in Irvine, California.
- Overseeing flow of goods from supplier base through purchasing, warehouse, manufacturing and distribution to customer
- Maintaining strategic supply chain relationships for production
- Overseeing Group Quality for the manufacturing operation
- Responsible for Mexicali and Asia manufacturing sites and personnel
- Overseeing master scheduling and production planning
- Budgeting, reporting and forecasting for manufacturing and procurement
- Collaboration as part of the executive council reporting to the President
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform short term and long term strategic planning for Procurement and Manufacturing
- Ongoing focus on improving inefficiencies and creating cost savings across manufacturing and procurement
- Select key suppliers with input of Program Management and Quality for development of Master Purchase Agreements for critical systems/subsystem requirements for global application
- Develop and implement policies in accordance with ISO
- Lead key negotiations in relation to procurement
- Review and approve award recommendations
- Oversee subcontracts, disadvantage business enterprise, and engineering technical buying activities
- Timely and cost-effective delivery of product into customer
- Establish budgets and forecasts for regular reporting to the ExCo (Executive Committee)
- Work with Engineering and Programs to define the configuration of systems being bid, and develop cost estimates (supported by PO history, work order history, etc.)
- Regular interaction with cross functional peers as part of the global ExCo team
- Manage performance to budget, continuous improvement, process consistency worldwide
- Develop cost reduction/cost avoidance programs with emphasis on total cost impact (i. e., consolidation of supply orders/contracts, etc., via purchase agreements, purchasing card, etc.)
- Assist staff in resolving issues regarding supplier/subcontractor performance, including claims, changes, and terminations
- Review Procurement audit results and recommend necessary actions
- Review and approve terms and conditions and flow-down requirements with Legal
- Ensures policies and procedures meet company goals
PRIORITIES FOR FIRST 6 – 12 MONTHS:
- Manage ‘business as usual’ whilst getting Boeing and Airbus approvals and separating operational unit from current location and moving to a separate building in Mexicali
- Asia facility will need to be moved to an alternate city in Asia (potential for this to be overseen by someone locally in Asia)
- Role will have responsibility for approximately 50 staff, 40 in Mexicali initially which will grow to 100 in 6 months and 300 by 3 to 5 years.
- 70% of orders placed automatically
- Dotted line involvement in the Shanghai, Toulouse, MRO (Maintenance and Repair Operation)
- Direct engagement at times into airline services
- Transition challenges – maintaining business as usual
- Managing operation to ensure flow of parts continues
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Senior manufacturing and supply chain experience to at least senior management level (VP of Manufacturing & Supply Chain, Director of Manufacturing, or General Manager) and ideally within a growing business.
- Experience with Mexico Manufacturing, preferably in Aerospace, Automotive, Medical Devices or a highly regulated industry.
- Experience with P&L Management.
- Knowledge of Supply Chain, Procurement, and Planning
- Appropriate tertiary qualification
- Experience in running a similar operation across a broad leadership team
- Able to operate at the Executive level
- Experience in leading and developing staff and building strong teams
- Commercially astute with experience in developing and managing budgets, reporting and forecasting accuracy
- Customer centric approach understanding the impact of manufacturing and supply decisions on the internal and user customer
- Quality conscious and track record of driving an ongoing improvement culture
- Ability to work with a range of cross functional peers in an organization
- Able to travel to Los Angeles, CA, and Southeast Asia up to 20% of time.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
SKILLS & BEHAVIORS:
- Able to operate autonomously running operations with limited supervision and direction
- Driven, results-oriented with strong execution
- Willingness to engage with and deal with peers
- Work with ambiguity – will need to regularly exercise discretionary decision-making authority in situations where all the information is not available
- Working cross culturally, understanding the South East Asia psyche and sense of humor.