Job Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Compiles lists of prospective customers for use as sales leads, based on information from inquiries, dealers, referrals and other sources and passes on to Sales Manager.
- Independently travels throughout assigned territory to call on regular and prospective customers to solicit orders and evaluate product trends.
- Regularly talks with customers in person or by phone.
- Travels to dealer locations, mines, job sites or trade shows to display or demonstrate product, to dealer sales people, managers and coordinators, parts, service and technical departments, and occasionally middle and upper management, using products or catalog, and emphasizes salable features.
- Consults with all customers to continually evaluate customer needs, maintain sales contacts, establish new sales contacts and identify potential new products which the company may produce to develop diversification and stability.
- Submits price quotes as directed by Sales Manager.
- Acts as public relations liaison by serving on committees and associations and entertaining customers as requested.
- Estimates date of delivery to customer, based on information provided by Sales Manager.
- Prepares reports of business transactions and keeps expense accounts.
- Routinely provides summarized information on all active and non-active customers.
- Complies with customer's business customs and safety regulations while on site.
- Complies with applicable company policies and safety guidelines.
- Performs related work as required.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Candidate Skills & Requirements:
- Analytical - Collects and researches data, uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully, develops alternative solutions, uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations, responds promptly to customer needs, solicits customer feedback to improve service, responds to requests for service and assistance, and meets commitments.
- Interpersonal - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming, maintains confidentiality, listens to others without interrupting, keeps emotions under control, and remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listens and gets clarification, responds well to questions, demonstrates group presentation skills, and participates in meetings.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities, exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to building a positive team spirit, puts success of team above own interests, and recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively, edits work for spelling and grammar, varies writing style to meet needs, presents numerical data effectively, and is able to read and interpret written information.
- Change Management - Communicates changes effectively, builds commitment and overcomes resistance.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others, inspires respect and trust, accepts feedback from others, and gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions, demonstrates knowledge of market and competition, and aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget, develops and implements cost saving measures, contributes to profits and revenue, and conserves organizational resources.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect, keeps commitments, inspires the trust of others, and works with integrity and ethically.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures.
- Strategic Thinking - Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses, analyzes market and competition, identifies external threats and opportunities, and adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, changes approach or method to best fit the situation, and is able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time, Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Takes responsibility for own actions, keeps commitments, and commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Initiative - Takes independent actions and calculated risks.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity, generates suggestions for improving work, and presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment and supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals, demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently, sets goals and objectives, and organizes or schedules other people and their tasks.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner, reacts well under pressure, treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position, accepts responsibility for own actions, and follows through on commitments.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures and reports potentially unsafe conditions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or two to five years related experience and/or training in sales of similar product lines; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Broad knowledge of fabrication and machining practices and procedures. Knowledge of accounting and marketing procedures.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and sales contracts. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, warranty statements, sales quotes and sales contracts. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of engineers when proposing changes to suit customer needs, managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
These are utilized to calculate production of mining products in tons, tonnes and cubic yards or meters for a variety of applications.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Utilized to gather data and complete haul road profiles and how or if products will affect production and costs.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
Valid driver's license.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Ability to learn and operate competently, personal computer programs including word processing, spreadsheet, data base, financial, etc. Ability to self motivate and manage time in a cost effective manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear during conversations with customers, managers and employees of company.
The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, computer keyboard or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, smell for gas leaks and to help identify product malfunctions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds when lifting catalogues, suitcases or arranging display equipment.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus utilized in reading, working with computer screens and driving.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions.
The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, risk of ultra-violet radiation from welding arcs in fabrication areas, and vibration from heavy equipment.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate with occasional exposure to very loud environments.