Our client, a world-class manufacturing company, is currently seeking a Product Engineer for its Tijuana, Mexico facility. The Print Process Engineer will be responsible for Printing process on non-woven materials fabric flexor printing process APQP, Six Sigma (Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma problem solving techniques, Toyota Production System). Responsible for mentoring associates in Six Sigma methodologies and Lean Techniques. Responsible for assisting team members as a company-wide training and support resource.
Position Duties & Responsibilities:
Deploy continuous improvement methodologies by engaging with, communicating to and supporting the efforts of site process teams. Will lead Lean deployment at the plant level which will include facilitating leaning activities (kaizen blitzes, action plan reviews). Support, track, assess and report progress on the implementation and use of lean manufacturing techniques within the plant. Plan, lead and implement kaizen events to improve safety, quality, delivery and cost. Lead Green or Black Belt Six Sigma projects. Process (Takt time analysis, job balancing, cellular manufacturing).
Prioritize Continuous Improvement Efforts
- Engage with, communicate to and support the efforts of site process teams
- Create list of improvement opportunities
- Obvious broken processes such as bottlenecks, scrap, poor flow etc
- Obvious Voice of the Customer issues (customer ‘fires’) such as remakes
- Value Stream Map
- Define current state of the process
- Define future state of the process
- Focus on narrowing the gaps between current and future state
- Prioritize opportunities to pursue utilizing; FMEA, Fishbone diagrams and alignment with Facility and Organizational Focus Areas)
- Oversees standard work (ensures that process manuals meet our desired state)
- Lead visual factory strategy
- Metrics (the best way for metric display throughout the day)
- Process identification
- 5S systems
- Engage with facility management to make Lean principles a part of the culture (“Go to Gemba” walks or walking the floor to see the process)
- Integrates quality at the source thinking and activities in daily, individual, team and project work.
Scope of Responsibility:
- Responsible for continuously improving manufacturing and finished product fabrication processes at business locations. May have specific responsibility for component processes, which are used to in manufacturing products for the business.
- Organize and implement significant cost and efficiency improvements ($12-15M annually) within manufacturing environment by deploying continuous process improvement and optimization techniques utilizing known methodologies such as Toyota Production System (TPS), Lean Manufacturing, and Six Sigma.
- Must be flexible with job assignments, able to work independently and well with others (team environment). Must be organized, methodical, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously and work to an established timeline. Position takes direction from Production Manager. Must manage multiple medium or large scope projects.
Candidate Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelors in Industrial Engineering with 5-7 years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Master’s degree desirable.
- Strong industrial experience as a Process Engineer with engineering experience in designing and improving processes.
- Demonstrated experience implementing change that yielded substantially lower cost, better space utilization, higher product flow and increased capacity without compromising quality.
- Preferred: Master’s degree in Industrial Engineering or similar level of advanced education related to continuous process improvement
- Demonstrated experience in Lean techniques, including VSM and planning & executing successful Kaizen events.
- Proven ability to drive (cultural) change; challenges the status quo and looks for ways to improve team and organizational performance; champions new initiatives and stimulates others to make changes.
- Proven interpersonal skills
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills including statistical analysis.
- Proven communication skills (verbal and written)
- Technical Writing
- General computer skills Excel, MS Word, Lotus Notes, MS Project and Access
- In depth knowledge of various manufacturing processes as they are used in the manufacture of window treatment products.
- Manage work according to established project timelines.
- Knowledge and application of engineering principles.
- Strong software skills in spreadsheets, word processing, presentation software, and CAD.
- Mechanical aptitude and dexterity is required to work around machines safely and effectively.
- Creativity is required to develop new processes and solutions in a timely fashion.