Our client, a leading remanufacturer of truck parts, is seeking a Human Resources Manager who will provide leadership and direction as a member of the Monterrey, Mexico site management team, and support functions within the facility, and for all Mexico-based employees of the company, regardless of reporting. This position supports the HR Business Partner for Global Operations and is a member of the HR Americas Management team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Translates strategy and tactical business plans into HR strategic and operational plans.
- Defines employer branding and EVP strategies for the Monterrey facility.
- Follows-up on communication activities related to strategy; cascading and executing according to plans.
- Provides leadership and consulting support to management teams on performance, organizational, and leadership matters to achieve business objectives and profitable growth.
- Works with all pertinent management representatives to define staffing strategies and implementation plans to identify, recruit, and retain talent within and outside the company.
- Identifies appropriate and effective external sources for candidates for all levels.
- Develops and oversees local recruitment processes in alignment with the global recruitment process and in compliance with local regulations/legislation.
- Takes a lead role in the recruitment of selected key positions, ensuring processes are followed and the right candidates are hired.
- Oversees the coordination and implementation of introduction programs for new hires.
- Follows-up and reports on retention statistics.
- Directs needs assessments for training and employee development to enhance the effectiveness of employee performance in achieving the goals and objectives of the company.
- Supports and counsels management teams with a variety of employee competence development needs and discipline issues.
- Ensures that the performance management process is fully implemented and that all employees have individual objectives and development/training plans in place.
- Determines and recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale.
- Investigates and resolves employee relations problems, anticipates problems whenever possible, and develops, recommends, and initiates appropriate steps for resolution. Escalates issues to VP, HR, Americas when needed; i.e., potential Code of Conduct violations or difficult and sensitive employee-related issues.
- Provides expert advice and coaching to employees when appropriate.
- Develops and promotes ongoing feedback mechanisms for employees to influence the continuous improvement of HR services and processes.
- Engages and aligns local HR resources on business strategy and the HR agenda and related deliverables. Builds, leads, assesses, develops and deploys HR resources, as needed. Contributes to their professional development and provides coaching and performance management feedback, as appropriate.
- Maintains knowledge of progressive HR practices and key trends.
- Creates job descriptions; within the Mercer IPE system, supports the analysis of position evaluations, wage and salary reports and various external data to determine competitive compensation and benefits.
- Ensures salary surveys are completed to meet deadlines and compliance with Mercer’s agreement.
- Reviews and benchmarks the internal and external environments to improve HR policy initiatives.
- Stays current with Mexican labor / employment legislation and ensures company policies and internal practices comply with legislation; consults with legal counsel, when required.
- Oversees the maintenance, utilization, and performance improvements of the HRIS system to effectively use the various systems to their fullest extent.
- Ensures the maintenance of employment files and records according to the rules established.
- Conducts bi-weekly Skype meetings with the VP, HR, Americas to follow-up on various measures, projects and activities; i.e., KPI’s/HR scorecard, recruitment/staffing/retention status, HRIS, training, programs, employee relations activities/status, etc.
- Ensures HR KPI’s are recorded and HR scorecard plans are followed-up.
- Prepares personnel forecasts to project employment needs and salary budgets.
- Prepares annual HR budget and submits for approval.
- Oversees the management and administration of health & welfare benefit programs, which includes the competitive benefit offerings to employees and the selection of providers.
- Conducts performance reviews of assigned employees.
- Is overall responsible for all internal HR-related communication activities within Monterrey.
- Understands talent acquisition and development strategies and partners with senior managers to ensure HR programs are supportive of these strategies.
- Coordinates, with the Plant Manager and his direct reports, the definition of specific action plans to achieve the function’s workforce strategy.
- Articulates the capabilities, resources and actions needed to manage talent development and to close talent gaps or optimize the workforce.
- Provides guidance on how to manage the Talent Review process and identify high-potential employees for targeted development opportunities.
- Supports on-boarding/off-boarding of talent.
- Supports the Plant Manager and all functional managers with Monterrey site employees in forecasting and planning their talent pipeline requirements in line with the function or business strategy.
- Reviews key business performance targets and their related talent implications.
- Provides leadership and consulting support to functional managers on performance, organizational, and leadership matters.
- Through the Talent Review Program, conducts organizational needs assessments to determine measures required to enhance employee job performance in support of achieving business objectives and growth.
- Supports the implementation of appropriate employee training programs and manages/coordinates its delivery.
- Assists functional managers in providing employees with development opportunities that align with current and future performance standards.
- Advises functional managers, as well as employees, on developmental tools (training courses, opportunities for developmental assignments, etc.).
- Understands and proactively addresses the HR needs of the function, maintaining strategic alignment between the Monterrey site and HR. Provides input to function leaders to align HR programs and solutions to support functional-specific needs.
- Advocates for the HR agenda with all Monterrey site functional leaders. Aligns with global HR policies and programs. Communicates the rationale for current policies and programs and conveys changes as they occur.
- Acts as a steward of company culture and inclusion within all functions, with a focus on providing guidance on strategies and approaches to keep employees actively engaged. Identifies, understands, and communicates best practices and identifies root causes for observed trends in culture, inclusion, and employee engagement.
- Oversees safety, environmental health and hygiene and security programs within the site.
- Supports the HR Global Leadership Team by ensuring HR initiatives are executed according to the established program guidelines. Meets program deadlines and complies with the deliverables established within each program. Key programs are the Talent Review & Performance Management process, Salary Review Program, Management Bonus Program.
- Prepares reports and participates in the monthly HR Global Team meetings.
- Requires travel national and international; approximately 10%.
- Accepts projects assigned as needed.
- Supervises the HR team in Monterrey, Mexico. The HR team includes positions responsible for safety and environmental health, security, and nursing. The position acts as a supervisor for the HR team by setting yearly objectives, providing ongoing feedback and coaching, cascading relevant HR and business information and conducting regular site reviews.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year University in business administration, HR management, or related field; and at least ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Broad experience with employment law compliance and employee and Union relations.
- Knowledge required to perform at this level is generally acquired through completion of a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related HR field.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a field of Human Resources, including progressively more responsible management experience; preferably within a production and sales organization.
- Requires in-depth working knowledge and understanding of various areas of Human Resources; i.e., talent management, employee relations, HRIS, benefits, compensation, employee training and organizational development. Typically considered an expert in at least one of these areas (preferably talent management), with some depth of experience and knowledge in others. Previous experience with Mercer IPE compensation system is also preferred.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of regulations/legislation in the Human Resources areas and the ability to apply this knowledge.
- Significant knowledge of HR policies, processes, and practices (e.g., workforce planning and talent management).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including English language, with the ability to organize and present information in a clear and concise way.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment, while managing multiple competing priorities.
- Strong problem solving skills; logical and analytical thinker.
- Ability to react productively to change, supporting and implementing company initiatives.
- Demonstrate strong employee relations and conflict resolution skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and basic knowledge of HRIS systems.