Worldwide leader in consumer products is seeking for a Plant Packaging Engineer for its operation in Tijuana, Mexico. The Plant Packaging Engineer will be responsible for leading plant based packaging engineering initiatives. You will serve as the Packaging Engineering Project Lead who will interface with Plant Operations, Plant Engineering, R&D, and Procurement as an extension of the California-based Packaging Engineering team. The successful candidate will utilize their extensive packaging engineering, material, design, and machinery knowledge to deliver sound packaging structures that complies with current packaging machinery, satisfies cost, and meets business objectives. You will troubleshoot and address quality issues related to packaging structures and damage. The successful candidate must be able to manage multiple projects and adapt to evolving and innovative project requirements throughout all phases of the product/package innovation process.
Core Responsibilities & Business Acumen:
- Manage and facilitate all packaging tasks related to the development or optimization of packaging solutions, effectively partnering and working cross-functionally within the organization and suppliers.
- Understand internal business strategies; keep abreast of new technologies, and trends in packaging within industry and marketplace.
- Possess and enjoy strong project management skills to develop timelines for all packaging related project deliverables.
- Develop cost estimates for new or exploratory product/package initiatives.
- Quickly learn plant manufacturing processes, product assembly, packaging machinery and output.
- Develop test protocols and standard operating procedures for package testing in-house or with external testing facilities.
- Prepare, stage, and procure product and package components in preparation for packaging validation trials.
- Evaluate quality of incoming packaging materials prior to packaging validation trials.
- Confirm that product is produced according to the work instructions (i.e. correct pallet patterns and following packaging instructions).
- Travel to plant facilities (US), vendors. Travel estimated to be 25%.
- Completing product/case weight and measure checks in the plant.
- Coordinate to market packaging validation trials.
- Address and troubleshoot packaging issues within the Warehouse environment.
- Collaborate with Plant and Supply Chain teams to address package complexity and package consolidations.
- Provide Procurement support for material transitions/validation, supplier transitions, and provide expertise when evaluating new suppliers.
- Knowledgeable of Direct to Consumer/E-Commerce strategies.
- Execute tasks as part of standard work such as:
- Packaging structure and die line development via computer aided design programs.
- Defining weight and dimension information for systems set-up.
- Artwork review and documentation.
- Writing/approving specifications.
- Defining pallet configurations.
- Extracting and manipulating critical packaging information in MS-Excel.
- Bilingual - fluent in English and Spanish
- Bachelor's of Science degree in Packaging Science or Engineering Degree with strong focus in packaging.
- 5 years preferably in Consumer Product Goods packaging. This position requires a strong grasp of retail packaging needs in regards to appearance and sustainability.
- Experience in plant/warehouse environment.
- Packaging material knowledge required focused primarily on corrugate and paperboard.
Intermediate proficiency in the following:
- MS Office - Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Palletization Packaging Programs: CAPE Systems and/or Topps.
- Draft and Design Programs: ArtiosCad, ESKO Studio, and Adobe Illustrator
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.