Our client is a global leader in electrical and digital building infrastructures with over 40,000 employees worldwide and over $6 billion USD in sales. Our client currently seeks a Senior Value Stream Manager to lead and manage all plant operational activities for assigned value streams (for one division) including production, quality, material handling, planning and other related activities for a large manufacturing campus in Tijuana with multiple plants.
Sr. Value Stream Manager
80,000 sq/ft plant within a mega site of 320,000 sq/ft. building with 3 divisions.
Will be responsible to plan, lead and control the manpower, equipment and material resources for all manufacturing operations related to assigned value streams.
Challenges: Transfer Project currently not meeting targets and behind in schedule. Not meeting run rates. Productivity is low at 40% and needs to improve to 75%. Not meeting budget and financial plan for savings. SOP’s and work instructions need to be better defined. Improve communication with corporate and to the floor and other depts. Improve employee engagement. Reduce turnover and develop and retain a high performing team. Improve training and product quality.
Division with 150 employees currently at 2 shifts and will go to 3 shifts.
• Organization: Organizational Leader Competency Model
• Main Interface: Internal – Manufacturing personnel at all levels within the operation, finance, human resources, marketing, manufacturing management, and engineering across assigned value stream.
• Budget: Assist in development and execution of the manufacturing budget so the needs of the plant and business are anticipated and met.
Main Job Duties:
1. Effectively manage value stream operations including production, quality, material handling and other related functions to meet agreed upon objectives in Safety, Quality, Delivery / Service, Cost, and Inventory.
2. Ensure a safe work environment for all employees through implementation and maintenance of company directed safety programs, compliance with OSHA and other regulatory requirements, and promotion of a strong safety culture.
3. Direct, coordinate and control the execution of the manufacturing plan to effectively, efficiently, and profitably manufacture products produced at the facility.
4. Initiate and direct the planning for current and future requirements for manpower, equipment, and space to ensure business goals are met.
5. Develop and execute annual manufacturing budget and ensure proper reporting of data necessary to track the performance of the manufacturing operation against budget.
6. Implement effective systems of control for labor, overtime, capital, and operating expenditures spending.
7. Eliminate waste throughout the manufacturing operations through implementation of Lean tools and processes, driving a continuous improvement culture, and promoting employee engagement at all levels of the plant.
8. Establish and monitor overall value stream performance for production and quality standard work.
9. Maintain existing plant facilities and equipment; replace or make adjustments to plant facilities and equipment when necessary.
10. Manage production supervisors to accomplish operational goals and objectives. Provide leadership, training and development for these individuals.
11. Administer plant policies in a firm, fair and consistent manner. Conduct regular meetings with all employees to ensure good, teamwork and cooperation throughout the manufacturing operation and between facilities and functions.
12. Performs other similar and related duties as required.
• Minimum of Bachelor's degree in engineering, manufacturing operations, supply chain, or related field is required.
• Previous experience as an Operations Manager or Business Unit Manager or similar role.
• Minimum of 7 years varied manufacturing experience including direct supervision of hourly and salaried employees (150+ employees).
• Metal fabrication or similar is important for this position.
• Must have a thorough knowledge of appropriate manufacturing methods, processes and equipment. Background with process improvement programs and quality initiatives required.
• Must be familiar with product construction and application. Must have complete knowledge of production scheduling (MRP planning systems) and shop operations.
• Must have demonstrated experience in applying Lean tools and practices and driving a strong Lean / Continuous improvement culture.
• Must have solid business acumen and understanding of a variety of functional areas within the business.
• A basic understanding of financial concepts is preferred, including: P&L, Working Capital, Cash Flow, BOM’s, Routings, Efficiencies, Direct/Indirect costs, Fixed costs, and manufacturing variances.
• Proven track record of delivering results against stretch objectives is required.
• Requires strong organizational and time management skills and be able to effectively handle multiple projects concurrently.
• Must have strong problem-solving skills and the ability to recognize root cause.
• Strong computer skills, proficient with word processing, spreadsheets and presentation software (PowerPoint), e-mail and meeting management software. Ability to use internet and web-based resources efficiently and effectively.
• Must be able to communicate effectively, across all levels of the organization (from floor operators to Sr VP), and have excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Must have strong leadership skills, with demonstrated ability to supervise and manage others. Able to foster open communication and support an environment of innovation and creative change.
• Must be fluent in English & Spanish.